Used Tyres: are they safe?
Here at Carcrew, our customer service experts regularly get calls asking about a certain kind of Tyres: used Tyres. But we don’t sell used Tyres – never have, never will. Why? Well, we just don’t think buying used Tyres is a very safe proposition.
We took a good, long look at the pros and cons of used Tyres – and we found only one “pro”:
- They’re cheap.
As for reasons NOT to buy used Tyres, we found several:
- The used Tyre industry in the India is completely unregulated – there’s simply no guarantee that used Tyres for sale are safe.
- Sometimes tread wear is visible on used Tyres – but Tyres can also have internal damage that’s completely invisible. In fact, it’s pretty much impossible to tell if a used Tyre is safe simply by looking at it.
- Even if used Tyres don’t appear worn, they could be quite old. In some cases, used Tyres may even be painted black to make them appear newer. Most manufacturers warn against using Tyres more than six years old, because at a certain point the Tyre’s materials can start breaking down. Find out how to determine the age of Tyres.
- There’s just no way to know the history of a used Tyre. Was it used while underinflated? Overinflated? Overloaded? Was it part of a mismatched set? Was it exposed to road hazards like potholes and rough terrain? Any of these conditions could cause damage that might be dangerous down the road.
- If the previous vehicle had alignment or suspension issues, the Tyres could be damaged and/or worn unevenly.
- Harsh weather – high heat, sunlight, humidity, and more – can cause a Tyre’s compounds to break down over time. It’s hard to know if a particular Tyre was used or stored in these conditions.
- If a Tyre has been damaged and repaired improperly, it may be more likely to fail.
- Tyres are registered to their original owner; in the event of a product recall, the manufacturer will contact the owner. If you buy used Tyres, you will not be notified of a recall.
So just to recap: we do not recommend buying used Tyres under any circumstances. When you consider everything that’s riding on your Tyres, we hope you’ll agree that the many cons of used Tyres far outweigh the one pro.
However, we do understand that buying new Tyres is a significant expense and because of that, we offer several lower-cost options for most cars. To see value-priced Tyres, just tell us about your vehicle; once you reach the Tyre search results page, look for the “Sort by” drop-down menu and select “Price: Low to High.” If you’d like some assistance in shopping for lower-cost Tyres, you can always give us a call at +91-7045996415– we’re happy to help!
And if you absolutely must buy used Tyres, be sure to check the age, check the tread depth, and look for uneven wear.
Stay safe out there!
This video will help you get a higher UBER driver rating which will allow you to earn more money and ...
Tyres serve a very important function in our day to day life, and it is important to keep yourself updated ...
Used Tyres: are they safe?
Here at Carcrew, our customer service experts regularly get calls asking about a certain kind ...